Email Us Today

How Can We Help?

Quick Contact Form

Send My Info

Westchester Probation Violations

Representation from a Westchester Criminal Lawyer

The Westchester County Department of Probation handles more than 13,000 people throughout the area, including 11,000 probationers and 2,000 juvenile crime offenders as of 2012, according to its website. The stated goal of the Department is to promote public safety and to hold offenders accountable for their actions. Prosecutors and judges will normally agree to allow a term of probation in place of incarceration, whether as part of a plea bargain or as an alternative sentence for a conviction. This approach not only reduces the burden on the state corrections system, but it also offers the offender a second chance to prove that he or she can live as a law abiding citizen. In fact, the word probation comes from the Latin for "test" or "prove."

In order to maintain probation, it is necessary to scrupulously follow every one of the terms that were imposed by the judge. This includes maintaining employment or attending school, regularly reporting to the probation officer and allowing the officer to visit your home, completing community service and making restitution payments to the victim, and attending treatment for drug or alcohol addiction, sexual abuse or psychiatric or psychological problems. It is also considered a violation to commit a repeat offense or another crime.

If your probation officer believes that you have violated the terms of your probation, he or she has several available options. As a low-gradient approach, the officer may require you to report in more often, or may order you to take part in additional services. The officer may take the matter to court, where the judge will hear the evidence and possibly lengthen the term of probation or impose additional conditions for you to follow. The judge also has the option to revoke the probation, with the result that you would then be sent to jail or prison, or in the case of a juvenile offender, be placed in a group home or residential treatment facility.

Hire a Westchester Probation Violation Lawyer

Whether the probation officer has not yet learned of the fact that you violated your probation or if there is already a warrant out for your arrest, it is in your best interests to involve the services of a Westchester criminal defense attorney as soon as possible to guide you through this situation and to help you avoid the serious consequences you face. Contact The Law Offices of Robert Schuster for help from a former prosecutor who has nearly two decades of experience and a track record that includes thousands of cases. No matter how serious the situation may appear, you have a right to contest the allegations, and Mr. Schuster is ready to take action on your case.

Find out about the Schuster Guarantee